Third L.A. County probation officer charged with beating teen inmates at Sylmar facility


A third Los Angeles County probation official has been charged with beating teenage inmates inside a Sylmar juvenile hall last year, prosecutors said.

Deputy Probation Officer Carlos Portillo pleaded not guilty to two counts of assault under color of authority on Monday in connection with a pair of clashes at the Barry J. Nidorf Juvenile Hall in 2016, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office. One of the incidents was captured on video and leaked last year to a local blog, prompting an internal investigation of other potential assaults at the jail.

Portillo, 39, faces up to four years and four months in prison if convicted, prosecutors said.

Portillo and another probation officer are accused of pummeling a 17-year-old inmate at the behest of a supervisor in April 2016. Supervisor Sergio Cano, 45, and Officer Timothy Boundy, 42, were also charged with assault under color of authority in that case.

Prosecutors allege Cano ordered Portillo and Boundy to attack the inmate.

Portillo and Boundy are also accused of battering a teen who tried to leave his room in the facility in February of 2016. Boundy faces a third assault charge stemming from an incident in October 2015. Prosecutors allege he grabbed a teen and hurled him to the ground.



Source link